Thursday 8 October 2015

So, How Are You Doing?

That question that every chronically ill person grows to dread...

"So, how are you today?" or "Are you feeling better today?"

On the surface, it sounds like a lovely, caring thing to say, and in most cases it is.  When my immediate family and close friends ask me these questions, I know that they genuinely care about how I am and want to know how I'm getting on.

But as time goes on, you do grow tired of being asked if you're any better by some people.  Those people that just don't seem to understand that your illness isn't going away.  Those people who wonder if you're making it all up because despite having multiple surgeries and seemingly trying a new medication every week, you STILL aren't better.

It seems callous to say this, but it feels like when they ask, they just the instant gratification of knowing they asked you, and don't actually want any details of how you're getting on with your health.

I have developed a response for when those people ask how I am.  I just say "still here" and leave it at that.  Often they immediately change the subject and talk about something else (usually themselves), but surprisingly sometimes they have a different response.  Once in a while, they actually continue on a conversation path about my health and ask more questions.

Not sure if this is the reason, but I like to think that it's because they're so surprised by my response, that they can't help but want to know more...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.