Monday 18 January 2016

Losing Control

I cried this morning.  I'm not ashamed to admit it, because it's perfectly healthy to express your emotions.  To those girls out there who bottle things up and keep everything on the inside until it becomes utterly overwhelming, know that it's not weak to cry if you need to, no matter the circumstances.

Anyway, onto today's post..

Today I just wanted to be normal.  To have a normal amount of energy and stamina, and just be able to go out into the world and do things like everyone else can.  Today was a day that I mourned the loss of my old life, and reflected on the new and different, but still good life that I live today.

Living with a chronic illness not only changes how you live and the things you're able to do, but also to an extent it changes who you are.  For me, in the beginning all of this change and uncertainty it was very difficult to take in and adjust to. I would like to say that I have gotten better at accepting change in my life, and the constantly shifting landscape of my health, but some days I definitely still feel like a fish out of water!  I've been reflecting on change and control of life over the last couple of days, so I thought I would write a few of my thoughts here...

Let's all face the facts here - we all crave control in our lives.  Control of what we do, where we go, what we wear and what we say and how we act towards others are just some of the things that we get to decide on each day.  A lot of these decisions we don't even consciously register in our minds, because they are made in a split second by the pre-frontal cortex in our brain.  Having control of different facets of our lives makes us comfortable in the knowledge that we are in the driver's seat, and helps us to 'live in our comfort zone'.  Everyone likes to feel like they're in their 'comfort zone', am I right?

Comfort is therefore the complete opposite of fear.  Fear generally rears it's head when we are facing change, or coming to terms with something, for example a new job, house move or the start of a course of study at Uni.  In all of these 'new things', there is an element of loss of control on our part, because we are jumping into something new and unknown that we haven't done before.  So the feeling of loss of control and fear of the unknown come together, and pretty much make us freak out!

You may be asking 'What the heck does all this rambling about control have to do with chronic illness?'  Well, in a way the same principles of loss of control and fear apply to chronic illness in the same way that they do in most people's everyday lives.

Thinking back to before my Endometriosis diagnosis, I had a job that I loved and was forming a 'plan' in my mind about what I was going to do next regarding Uni etc.  All of this came crashing down around my ears as I got more and more unwell, had to leave my job and became this creature floating around in pain all of the time!  Getting the diagnosis helped for sure, because then I knew that it wasn't all in my head and that I was being taken more seriously now that I had a medical 'label' so to speak.  

But to be honest, my feelings of fear and loss of control only worsened, because now I had this new, scary diagnosis and I really had no idea what I was going to do.  So, similar to what you may experience in an everyday sense, I was basically plucked out of my life by one of those metal cranes like in a toy vending machine, and plonked into this whole new medical world which I had no idea how to navigate!

Over the past 2 years I have adjusted and it has become easier to live this new and different life of mine, but still, the goalposts are constantly shifting and there is always one thing or another to deal with.  I'm definitely not some shiny, brave chronic illness person who feels no fear and has a magic wand to solve all her problems!  Some days it all just seems like too much to cope with, but mostly I work through the fear and just break down into steps how I am going to cope with or manage what is happening to me in that particular day or moment.

An important part of coping with this is to have a support network around you, so that you know you have someone to talk to if you need to.  I'm incredibly lucky to have a supportive family, a few close friends I can confide in, and my Endo Angels support group who are always here to support me and lend a listening ear.

Comment below and let me know if you too have feelings of fear and loss of control in your life.  If you do, know that everyone does no matter what their situation, and it's perfectly normal!  It's just about finding some coping strategies that help you to work through whatever you may be going through.

Gee, this post feels like I'm totally rambling!!  But, it's what has been on my mind lately, so I thought I would come here and share...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.