Tuesday 12 May 2015

Honouring the Nurses

Today is International Nurses Day.  What better way to celebrate what Nurses do, than to honour some of the ones I had the pleasure of getting to know during my multiple hospital stays.  I've been writing this post on and off for a while, so here it is today in honour of all Nurses.

I have met many nurses during my hospital stays, too many to count.  Some just come and go, but many others have stayed lodged in my memory because of the little things they did and said that made all the difference to my stays.  

So, below I would like to honour those I remember, because I feel it's important to acknowledge them.  Please note that names have been changed in some cases to protect their privacy.

Anneke - for being the quiet nurse that was softly spoken and gentle with me, particularly on one day when I was emotionally fragile.

Belinda - for being my hospital mother during my first stay and for accompanying me to Pre Op for my first surgery.  Having you there helped me to be a little less freaked out.

Bindu - for taking such good care of me while I waited to get admitted to the Ward.  Also for being there on the day when I had that procedure done.  I was really glad it was you.

Bridie - for always having a smile on your face and chatting about life which made things a bit more normal.  Oh, and for telling me that when you were a nursing student, your friend made you try all the gross things that you now give to patients.  That made me feel a lot better while having to drink that powdered stuff!  Also for introducing me to those Remove patches that take the sticky adhesive off your skin - I loved them!

Carol - for doing all the little things on the Ward and for finding me flannels when they all seemed to have disappeared from the linen cupboard.  And that day you made my bed when I was out walking the hallway with my parents and I got back to find Benjamin, my Endo bear, pride of place on top of my pillows - it was a small thing, but it made my day!

Charlotte - my 3am angel.  It was always nicer to be woken up in the middle of the night when you were on duty.  We quite often had a whispered conversation while you did my obs.

Chelsea - that first night I arrived on the Ward, I was pretty scared.  Thanks for just being there and making sure I was ok.

Glenys - for always being there in Pre Op to do my checklist when I came in through ORDA.  And for the cheeky wink we shared when they wanted to do yet another pregnancy test on me, even though you and I both knew what the answer would be :-)

Grace - having someone younger to talk to about normal things like TV and movies was lovely.  The number of things we could talk about in the time it took to do my obs was pretty impressive!  The best days were when you and Toni, my "dream team", were both on afternoon shift.  That night when I was the only one left in my room and you came in and we just had fun and laughed and chatted about random stuff was probably the best night I had!  Also, for all the heat packs you made me - bliss!

Gracy - for defending me when someone complained about all of the food I had in the fridge.  No one could argue when you told them I had been Nil by Mouth for 48 hours - no wonder my yoghurt stash was so big!

Jo - for always being smiley and chatting about your student ward placements.  And for all of the heat packs you made me, by the time I was discharged you were an expert and they were always just the right amount of heat for me!

Kanta - for taking care of me with the other nurses the night I developed tachycardia.  I was so scared, but having you there and trusting that you would take care of me definitely helped.

Mini - for trying me on all those different anti nausea meds until we found one that helped a bit.  You were so lovely and caring. 

Namaste - for accompanying me to Pre Op for the procedure I had done under GA.  Again, having a familiar face there really helped me to stay calm.

Pamela - for writing in my notes (that I got from Clinical Records later) that I was watching a movie with my boyfriend that weekend in hospital.  That was actually my brother, although we all got a giggle out of it!

Paula - for being the cool nurse who wore skinny jeans to work!  Also for picking me up in the hallway when I collapsed against the Reception desk and almost passed out - much appreciated.

 Rachael - What can I say - you were amazing!  Really caring and fun to chat to about all sorts of things.  You also made those blood clotting injections hurt less, which was fab from my point of view.

Saras - I know you were only filling in for someone who was off work, but you are such a beautiful person and always helped me out with whatever I needed, even if I wasn't quite sure yet what it was.  The lovely conversations Mum and I had with you were nice and reminded me there was still a world out there, even if I was currently stuck in a hospital bed.

Sepi - for keeping everywhere so clean and tidy.  Thank you so much because it's the things that keep the hospital running that tend to go unnoticed, and you do a great job.

Siobhan - for making me comfy at 3am after my first surgery by rolling me onto my side and barricading me in with pillows.  Those 4 hours were the best sleep I had all night thanks to you.  Also for the conversation we had about books, as Mum was reading me The Book Thief at the time.

Toni - How do I describe you Toni? There are no words to tell you how awesome you are, but here are a couple of highlights.  Your cheeky grin and ready smile when you put your head around my cubicle curtain.  For being brave enough to convince my rubbish veins to accept an IV line.  That night when we were both encouraging my veins because of that huge MRI Contrast line you had to put in.  Talking about life, the outside world and both of our families.  That time when I was standing in the middle of the Ward about to pass out from the pain and you came in and knew what I needed without me having to say anything, then guiding me back to bed.  All the cold flannels and ice cubes in my water jug, and the Peppermint Tea.  Who could ever forget my family all trying to cut their fingers off in the same week!  We had such a laugh over that!!  And the hug you gave me on the day I finally left for good - thank you :-)

Vivi - That night when you came in and saw the terror on my face when I developed Tachycardia.  Thank you for being calm and reassuring me that everything would be ok.

Zeena - for leaving me to sleep and not waking me to have my obs done that night when I was having a good deep sleep for a change.  Sleeping through til 5am was a real achievement for me, and I have you to thank for it.

To the 2 Level 9 Theatre nurses who took such good care of me.  I have forgotten your names, but I will never forget your faces.

To anyone whose name I forgot, and I'm sure there are a few.  Just thank you for all that you do.

Oh, and for the invitation to the Anzac Day Night Shift Nurses Party.  I had so much fun chatting with you all, and I hope you enjoyed the Anzac Biscuits :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.